Overly enthusiastic? Maybe...2021

Comments

• Thanks, Brandon.  Have you put up a video of yourself playing it anywhere?  At times I have practiced it leaving off the double stops here and there...I do hope to be able to get them in there at some point or other, but also don't wanna turn a beautiful tune into ugliness...lol...that could happen so easily if those ol' double stops get outta control.
  • Worked on part one of GFW again some tonight...it's actually sorta coming together...unbelievably...yet, still not sure I could actually play it and make it sound good.  I went through the part two lesson tonight too.  Gonna take some work...lol...not just some...gonna take a lot of work.  As I said before...I'm giving myself to the end of March on this one.  We'll see what happens.  I can't trash the thing...hopefully I'll get it to where it can sound halfway decent...if not, I just won't play it.
  • Thinking about putting a guitar track on one of these days soon, when I can get enough time to concentrate on that, and then go ahead and record (try to, I shoulda said...lol) part 1 of GFWaltz.  Not sure I'm ready, and when that red light goes on the recording box, you know it kinda throws your heart at your feet and besides trying to play, you gotta pick yourself up and hold yourself together...lol.  But something about making a recording drives me to move forward and not become stagnant. Though my arm is swollen and sore...but I think it's from trying to close an umbrella...lol...the weirdest things get this thing all worked up again.  Anyway ... I might try it in a few days if I get a long afternoon to devote to the effort.
  • I can't wait to hear you play it. I haven't even given the tune another look since I first talked about it here a few days ago. I guess I better get going if I'm going to learn it. The 31st is only 30 days away. Geez....how time flies. I'm having way too much fun composing lately. :)

I even wrote a fiddle tune today....haven't named it yet but it's fun. I should record that one and post it here, but I'm right in the middle of another orchestral piece at the moment and got side-tracked enough with the fiddle tune let alone taking time to record it. Geez...I'm just too busy for a 70 year old geezer! lol
  • You are busy, Fred...but it's obvious you really do need to concentrate on your composing...I mean, you are the best!  Can't neglect a wonderful thing like that!  Well I played through GFW tonight some with the tracks here...went on different speeds...I can get through it...but it really sounds rough...not sure I'm that ready to record it now...lol.  I'm just talking about the 1st part...I'll record the whole thing with the second part later on...I can't handle that yet.  Sometimes I play the first part sorta ok-ish...not great...somewhat pitchy and shaky and fumbly...but not bad...then other times...whoa...it just sounds awful...lol.  I've been playing it quite a bit...not sure how I can improve the sound, like whether I should just keep playing it to exhaustion every day or whether I might need to break it into small parts and hone in on getting them smoother, on pitch better, better transitions from one thing to another, etc.  Tonight wasn't my best night with it, I'll say that...it's all there in my mind...memorized how it goes and fits together...but...well, ya never know what it's gonna sound like once I get to playing it...lol.  We'll see how it goes, I guess.  I might need to practice a little more with it.  Or a LOT more...lol.
  • Allo are you asking a question is your bow of great quality and what kind are you having me bow greasy it does not give me good sound ??
  • I am French I use a translator I apologize for the translation is not perfect
  • Hi Gigi.  I'm not sure if your question was meant for me or somebody else, but I'll answer as far as it applies to me.  I have used any kind of bow that comes with the instruments, usually cheap bows, then I also have some Fidderman carbon fiber bows, and I have two incredibows, which are all man-made materials...I'm not crazy about the incredibows but I have them for backups.  I use a light amber rosin a lot of the time and go to darker amber rosin in the cold, dry months of winter.  What are you using now?
  • Well, Peggy...it's coming up on the 31st and I haven't even tried to play GFW in weeks. I've just been too busy.  Somehow I've just got to get going on that piece because it's so pretty. Can't promise anything now, but I am thinking of recording a banjo tune and putting some fiddle to it.

Looking forward to another video from you, Dave, Gunnar, Edmo, Kaeleigh, Steve and the rest of the gang...:)
  • Fred...I guess you just have to go more with your musical instincts than with what you've got on your calendar...something banjo and fiddle would be great!  GFW can wait.  Just my opinion.

I'm pretty much burnt out by now from my enthusiastic learn-everything-on-this-site mode...lol...I think it was GFW that finally made me feel like time to stop, time to get to work on home projects, and time to just play whatever I feel like playing, when time allows.  But whenever I do something like run through a buncha lessons like that...it's always really helpful to my all around playing, I feel like.  Maybe some day I'll get good...lol.  Until then, I just settle for having fun.
  • Peggy & Fred,

No matter what either of you decides to record in the future, you've both been an inspiration to me with the amount & quality of what you've already produced and your continued willingness to share it with others.

So far I'm way ahead of my hopeful schedule of cutting one track per day, but I've "settled" for quite a few of them do to impatience. It seems once I get the rhythm tracks done I get all worked up to finish that tune and move on. I'm not unhappy with my recent results, but feel I could have done better with more patience...still, I kind of surprised myself putting out 5 tunes of 6 tracks each in 8 days. I feel it's been well worth the effort. and I'll continue for a while...hopefully I'll deep it going after I go back to work about middle of next month.

I think some of it comes from having to struggle with learning guitar all over again...been too long since I did much flat-picking and it's like starting new all over again on each thing I approach. I'm trying hard to keep the reins pulled back a bit and take the time to get better results and make friends with my current enemy...that darn truthful recording machine...haha

I'm working on another tune a I type, but my fingers still aren't in shape to play on the guitar for hours, so I get a bit frustrated having to to it down so often.

I'm also trying to get a banjo player or two form another forum interested in collaborating with me on some tunes, but no returned message so far.

Whew...guess I wanted to type for a while...hahaha
  • Very nice sentiments, there, Dave.  And the feeling is mutual!  Keep those recordings coming!  I know what you mean...if I get a good solid "scratch" track to base my other instruments on, there's no stopping.  I don't have the patience to go for perfection, just gotta do it, and then move on to another...lol...it's like some recording disease that strikes...lol.  Better than a lot of other diseases I guess.  Keep 'em comin'!
  • It's exciting to watch somebody go recording crazy...lol.  Keep 'em comin', sounding good!
  • Thanks a lot, Dave. I'm sure Peggy feels the same. You have been an inspiration to us both, too. (Isn't that right, Peggy? )

I enjoy listening to your work because you are playing authentic Bluegrass licks on all the instruments you perform on. They're the real thing and you make them sound great.

I certainly understand what you mean by "patience". I also feel like I'm having to learn playing rhythm guitar all over again just to prepare for recording some tunes here on the forum. I haven't played guitar at all to speak of in several years and what an undertaking just to play a tune in the key of C! I guess I'm gonna have to go the blister route just to get this done. lol
  •  

Thanks a lot, Dave. I'm sure Peggy feels the same. You have been an inspiration to us both, too. (Isn't that right, Peggy? )
    I enjoy listening to your work because you are playing authentic Bluegrass licks on all the instruments you perform on. They're the real thing and you make them sound great.
    I certainly understand what you mean by "patience". I also feel like I'm having to learn playing rhythm guitar all over again just to prepare for recording some tunes here on the forum. I haven't played guitar at all to speak of in several years and what an undertaking just to play a tune in the key of C! I guess I'm gonna have to go the blister route just to get this done. lol
  • Thanks a lot, Dave. I'm sure Peggy feels the same. You have been an inspiration to us both, too. (Isn't that right, Peggy? )
    I certainly understand what you mean by "patience". I also feel like I'm having to learn playing rhythm guitar all over again just to prepare for recording some tunes here on the forum. I haven't played guitar at all to speak of in several years and what an undertaking just to play a tune in the key of C! I guess I'm gonna have to go the blister route just to get this done. lol</p>
  • Well thanks Fred, that means a lot coning from you.

Good luck with your fingers...be gentle! haha
  • Yes, what Fred said.  I tried to post that what an inspiration Dave has been, like 20 times or something, kept getting "critical error" and gave up.  Dave, you are an inspiration.  Love your recordings...let's see if this post will get through.
  • The feeling is mutual Peggy, thanks for the encouragement
  • Yes, for some reason the website here was acting up again and I tried and tried to get a message onto this forum and finally after quite a bit of fooling around I was able to fool the site and get one to Dave but it still had a bunch of weird things at the end of it. ?

Who knows what goes on in the computer world...? lol.

Anyway, I'm in the middle of composing a fiddle tune in the key of F. It must be the inspiration to play in F came from Peggy and the GFW. I have been playing around with a fiddle that my dear friend Kent let me borrow because my wife told him I really liked the sound of it, so he insisted I take it and do some playing with it. So I got the idea for this up-and-coming fiddle tune which I think I'll call "Kent Latch's Fiddle". As soon as I get it where I can play it through without a ton of mistakes, I'll record it and post it on a new page here. Wish me luck....:)
  • Looking forward to hearing it!
  • Can't wait, Fred!
  • I think all three of you have been inspirations not just to me but to everyone here at BGD.  Kaeleigh and Gunnar have also been very inspiring as well. But you three (Cricket, Fred and Dave) have really worked your tootsies off and posted some truly amazing stuff.  In as much as I haven't touched the fiddle in like near a year, I still get excited when I discover that one of you guys and gals have posted something FAB.  Thanks for being  great members and sharing all of your wonderful talents with us.
  • Thank you so much for your kind comments. (I was glad to hear what happened to my tootsies, too. They're gone but the rolls are still here ..lol)

At present, I'm having a good amount of trouble with latency in my Studio One 5.2 program. I'm beginning to get a handle on it but it has been quite annoying to multitrack. I have created a catchy fiddle tune in the key of F and want to post it here on the forum but I've got to get all the kinks out first.

Again, Scott...thanks for the nice remarks. :)
  • I was in a rush when I posted my previous post here and forgot to mention Ed (aka Edmo).  As a beginner fiddler Ed has worked really hard at some wonderful Celtic tunes and has allowed us to go along with him on his fiddle journey.  And has certainly come a LONG way from where he first started. He is another inspiration to me, and I'm sure to us all.

Fred, You're very welcome. I hope you can get your latency issues fixed. I'm looking forward to hearing your next entry.  Do you use ASIO4All ? If you are using a Windows OS. Link below:

https://www.asio4all.org/

Just a guess here, but perhaps your USB devices (mic, keyboard etc) could be causing the latency. As I said, it's just a guess.  :)
  • Thanks, Scott!  I appreciate all who keep this site active and am constantly inspired by what is shared here.

Fred, I was having horrible latency issues with studio one and then discovered when you hit the red button on the track you want to record, it has a blue (or maybe green?  Can't remember now) light to the right of the red light up there on the beginning of the track.  If you click and make that light go off, the blue one, not the red one, the latency goes away.  I hope that makes sense and I hope your problem can be solved that easily.  Let me know!
  • Thanks, Scott, for the link. I'm going to try Peggy's suggestion first and see if that will work. I'll bet it will, because I have recorded before with this software using real instruments and didn't have any real obvious latency issues. If not, I will download the drivers you suggest.

Yes, Peggy, as far as I can remember right now (I don't have Studio One running at the moment) the red light on the track "arms" the track and the blue/green light "monitors" the track. Using that monitor would unnecessarily lengthen the roundtrip time and cause latency. I'll bet that'll work. Thanks in advance. :) (You folks are great!) :)
  • Heya Cricket,

As a fellow injured violin player, I feel for you, and know just where you are coming from.  Given the recovery from the broken left upper arm and elbow, and the tendon damage to my right hand in 2018/19, trying to play like I did in high school decades ago seems like a daunting task.  Even with all the bionic hardware and features I now have, my coordination and speed are not as good as they once were, lol.  I dunno know about you, but it frustrates me to no end.  My violin does not know this but I am very persistent, and I will conquer this!

2020 gave me time to focus on me, which I hadn't had in decades, as well.  I am nowhere near to playing in public, and sometimes I am apologizing profusely to my instructor about my sound, struggles I have in just holding the bow properly, and my brain just not processing so well.  Although covid is a curse, it made the year of 2020 a blessing violin-wise.  In the last 3 months, I really went into hibernation, and started wrapping my head around my wreck, and how blessed I am to be here to try again.  Now that Spring has sprung, I am off the last medication from the wreck, and that has been the biggest help.  I am not in a fog any longer, and can concentrate & comprehend a bit better.  Like my PCP said to me - "It will come together, all in due time".

Keep plugging away at the lessons, and whittling down your NY resolutions list; you've got this! 2021 will be a much better year.  :)
  • Thank you, Patricia, and best wishes to your full recovery and regaining all the musical skills that have been affected.  My old friend from West Virginia, Dwight Diller, was in a really bad wreck and the doctors couldn't tell him if he would ever play again.  It took a while, but he did get it all back.  We know it can be done!  Glad you made good use of an otherwise pretty bad year!  Hope you are all the way back very soon!
  • Well, Scott....it worked. Your suggestion to download ASIO4II worked very well. After some additional tweaking I managed to get around 13ms of latency down from 70ms. It's enough to record with. So, as time permits, I'll start posting some audio here on the Forum.

So Thank You Scott and Peggy for all your technical assistance. :)